Thursday, May 14, 2009

The Canadian Jewish News

Here is an interview about the family as distinct society, Keat's idea of negative capability, and the author's 'crossed out Jewish origins'. Thanks to Nancy Wigston and The Canadian Jewish News.

CJN.: Was the real Eva a wild character?

Steinmetz: She was no WASP, let’s put it that way. Direct, irreverent, packed with real and put-on emotions, her humour came from the extravagant positions she would take. Her theatre training and love of exaggeration made sure she was the focus of attention. I got to know her first when I was 12 and she was in her 60s. She moved into our [Eastern Townships] summer house with at least five dogs. My Swedish grandparents were already living there. They had a whippet – we had two dogs and a cat. On weekends, it was mayhem. I loved that atmosphere.

Eva never stopped telling stories. I picked up on her European sensibility – apparent in her tastes and habits: goose fat, Russian rye, garlic, wine, cigarettes. I didn’t grow up feeling very Canadian. Canadians ate hot dogs, we didn’t. Whatever Eva was,wherever she came from, I liked that place. I felt comfortable dreaming about it.

Full interview here.

No comments: