Wednesday, June 5, 2013

It Ain't No Pipe Dream


I've been thinking about this one for a long, long time and now it's about done, thanks to a long list of people, not least Dan Wells of Biblioasis. Strange how these things work out; how the past comes together in the present. About a decade ago, I had an intense  conversation in a bar in Montreal with Dan about Diana Athill's memoir Stet. I hadn't met Dan thirty minutes and there we were in Cafe da Poete exchanging notes on literary projects. Ten years passed, when I watched from afar the good work Dan was doing at Biblioasis, before I sent along my manuscript. Well, it's a good thing too. Thanks to Dan and the talented people at his shop in Stalag Windsor, This Great Escape: The Case of Michael Paryla will be published this fall. Something like eight years in the making...it ain't no pipe dream no more.

No comments: