Sunday, December 8, 2013

All Lit Up: The Inevitable Futility of Recreating a True Story

I liked this description
'Recently shortlisted for the Hilary Weston Writers’ Trust Prize for Non-Fiction, this book is a unexpected and clever pastiche of genres. Steinmetz has done a remarkable thing by piecing together bit of diverse information in such a way underscores the inevitable futility of recreating a true story.'


Hamburger Theatersammlung. Theatre archives, Hamburg. 

"The S-Bahn leaves me at Dammptor. I exit the busy terminal in the direction of the university, following the crush of students. Outside, I verify the campus address. Von-Melle-Park 3. At last I’ll meet this Dr Giesing, someone for whom Michael is a subject of objective study. The director of the archives, she holds the key to material that might unlock Michael’s story. A corner piece of the floor puzzle. Well, I don’t actually believe it – it isn’t likely – but then I’ve come this far and under which pretext if not because I hold out hope. Why put on a method writer’s lumbering show if you can’t suspend disbelief for a measly hour?" - from This Great Escape.

No comments: